What is a TR1 Form and Can I Complete it Myself?

FREE cash offer within minutes
What is a TR1 Form and Can I Complete it Myself?
  • Free cash offer within minutes, no legal fees, any location.

Having the correct document when buying or selling a property in the UK is critical. The process of gathering and filling out forms is rarely exciting, but it is the backbone to ensuring a smooth and legitimate transaction.

One example of documentation that needs to be completed is the TR1 form. This document is not one of the first ones that comes to mind when discussing property form-filling, but it is no less important than many of the others.

In the blog below, we have explained what the TR1 form is, and whether you can complete it yourself. Read on to find out these answers.

What is a TR1 form?

A TR1 form is a formal document for the UK land registry, which transfers ownership of a property from one party to another.

In a residential property transaction, it is usually the seller’s solicitor/conveyancer that prepares the TR1 form. This solicitor will complete the form, and the only involvement from the seller themselves will be to provide a signature.

The hassle involved in getting a TR1 form, and then completing it, is usually part of the fee a solicitor or conveyancer charges. It is rarely quoted as a separate cost.

A TR1 form is valuable for the land registry because it ensures that there is a central, up-to-date repository of the correct title deeds. This ensures that title deeds are not lost, altered or stolen by individuals.

Before your solicitor submits a TR1 form, they will usually do two things: check whether the property has already been registered with the land registry; and check what is in the register and confirm the details.

What information is contained in a TR1 form?

A standard TR1 form in the UK will typically provide information about the following things:

  • Title Numbers
  • Property
  • Date
  • The Transferor
  • The Transferee
  • Address
  • Consideration
  • Title Guarantees
  • Declaration of Trust
  • Additional Provisions
  • Execution (i.e. legally signing the deed)s

Some forms include additional sections and details, stretching beyond the above, so you should not view this list as exhaustive.

When a TR1 form is sent off to the land registry, you will typically need to include a certificate of identity, an AP1 or FR1 form, and a stamp duty certificate.

Can I complete a TR1 form myself?

Yes, you can complete a TR1 form by yourself. There is nothing to stop you from doing so. However, you should think carefully before taking this route, because it is not recommended.

Sometimes, a mortgage lender will insist that there is qualified legal assistance when a TR1 form is completed. In these instances, you have no choice but to bring in a solicitor or conveyancer to help you do this.

You should also keep in mind that completing the TR1 form yourself, without any prior legal experience, may make you more likely to make costly mistakes. To avoid this, it is recommended that you hire a solicitor or conveyancer with expertise in this area.

When you submit a TR1 form, there is typically a land registry fee payable with the application. You should make sure that the correct amount is paid when you submit the form.

How much does a conveyancer charge for a TR1 form?

The hassle involved in getting a TR1 form, and then completing it, is usually part of the fee a solicitor or conveyancer charges. It is rarely quoted as a separate cost.

How can I get a TR1 form?

If you have decided to complete the TR1 form yourself, without any legal assistance, then you can download a copy of the TR1 form from the UK government website. This is free to download, at the time of writing.

How long does a TR1 form take to process?

Most of the time, you can expect the Land Registry to have a backlog of cases. This means that your TR1 form is unlikely to be dealt with straight away – instead, it will go onto the bottom of the pile. In some cases, it can take weeks – or even months – for the form to be processed.

Sell your property with WeBuyAnyHome

WeBuyAnyHome are chain-free cash house buyers who can purchase your property up-front and quickly, without hassle or stress. You are in the perfect place to sell your house fast.

Using our own funds, we will purchase your property at a set price, by a date of your choosing, fully managed from beginning to end.

Any location, any condition, we buy any house. We can provide you with an offer for your UK property – Cardiff to Clyde, Durham to Dover. Our specialist team have helped assist thousands of people to a quick and stress-free house sale.

Fill in our enquiry form below if you are interested in getting a cash offer for your house.

Posts Related To Cash House Buyers

View all articles
10 Tips for Selling Your Home in 2023 for a Quick House Sale
What are the Pros and Cons of Paying off Your Mortgage Early?
How Does Stamp Duty Work in Scotland?
Can You Put Solar Panels on a Flat Roof?
<strong>When Selling a House Who Signs the Contract First</strong>
Can You Remortgage to Buy a Second Home?
Seller Won’t Take House Off the Market, What Can I Do?
How Many Years Accounts Do You Need for a Mortgage?
<strong>What is a Deed of Covenant?</strong>
Free cash offer within minutes, any condition, any location.

Get a free cash offer today
Enter your details below

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.